Hi, everyone!
I just wanted to write everyone to wish you a merry Christmas! Corey and I experienced our very first Christmas in Jolly Olde England, and I must say it's been quite fun :-) We went to 2 Christmas dinners, one with proper English folk, and one with mixed company (Americans, Kiwis, Brits...) So we are feeling pretty full right now...
Christmas in England is pretty similar to the US, except for a couple of things. First off would be the Christmas crackers. (No, maybe first off is the little song we sang to give thanks before the English Christmas dinner...or maybe first off is the lack of obnoxious outdoor Christmas decorations that we know and love in America...) Anyway, Christmas crackers...it's this cool little thing where everyone gets a cardboard tube with ends that you and the person next to you pull to break the tube. Out falls cool toys, lame jokes, and awesome paper crowns that you get to wear all dinner long. So who is the most well known woman in America? Missis-ippi...
Oh, and turkey or goose is the main dish at an English meal, not ham. (They don't, after all, get a get a chance to be thankful for turkey in November like we Americans do...) Then there's bread sauce (a white sauce that's sort of like gravy) and brandy butter that you put on the Christmas "pudd" (a round Christmas dessert with raisins and spices inside.) And then, get this...some people go WALKING after Christmas dinner! Actually, a lot of people do. It's kind of nice because the weather isn't all that cold. I just can't imagine doing it in Massachusetts on a freezing cold day. It does shake off the food coma, though :-)
So, Christmas was really nice. Oh, and I survived almost getting run over by a red double decker bus in Wimbledon on Christmas Eve, so I'm pretty grateful to be around ;-) Today is Boxing Day, another holiday when nobody has to go to work. Boxing Day originates from about 100 years ago, when families had servants who had to work for them on Christmas. The day after Christmas, they gave their servants the day off, and gave them boxes of money and things to celebrate with. I'm not so sure that there's much point to the holiday these days, except, it's TRADITION! And we get the day off! So God bless it!
Anyway, Corey and I have been spending our day goofing off, eating leftovers, watching "Left Wing"...oh, I mean "West Wing"..., and playing video games. Not too shabby a way to relax, if I do say so myself. Corey has to go back to work tomorrow, but I'm off from work until the 2nd of January, so hooray for England!
Also, you may have noticed that our blog address has changed. That's because Google pulled a corporate takeover of Blogger! (Are they the next Microsoft? But they're so nice...) Anyway, the nice people at Google made me create a new site, so here it is. You can still view our old site, but I think they're phasing it out. Old site address: www.shieldsfamuk.blogspot.com
Well, anyway, Merry Christmas and happy New Year and may God chase you with His goodness and blessings this year!
Love, Sarah
26.12.06
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It wasn't very cold christmas day here, we've had a very mild winter so far. Maybe we should have gone for a walk, I know I could've used it!
We had a great Christmas, I must say LIKE NO OTHER! I think it was 60 degrees. WOW, I felt right at home and didn't feel like going back to Puerto Rico like I always do when it's FREEEZIN' out.
Have a blessed NEW Year Sarah and Corey. We love and miss you guys.
God Bless!
Post a Comment